- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion; finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 packet Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® dip mix
- 6 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Swiss Cheese; shredded – preferably Gruyere – divided (I must admit, I double this..lol!)
- 10 ounces Frozen Spinach; thawed and squeezed to remove excess liquid
- Optional: 2 oz can of chopped jalapeno peppers
Over medium heat, melt Butter with Olive Oil in a sauce pot. Add Onions, season with Salt and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until soft and pale golden. Sprinkle in the Flour and stir until a dry paste forms.
Slowly whisk in Milk, trying to avoid lumps. Stir in the Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® dip mix and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly.
Stir in the Cream Cheese and half of the Swiss Cheese until melted. Add the Spinach and remove from heat.
Divide mixture between two small oven safe baking dishes. (This can be prepared a few days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer) Notice, that in the picture Carla did hers in miniature ramekins but I chose two separate dishes (One with the original recipe and one with my added change of jalapeno peppers and hot sauce)
Place the baking dishes on a rimmed sheet pan and top with the remaining Swiss Cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly on top.
Bottom Line: Bland (Sorry, Carla)! Even the one that I added the jalapenos to fell flat. There are so many better recipes out there for if you are going to have this type of decadent dish! This one needs a lot of help and it isn’t worth making in your kitchen.
That being said, another recipe I tried from the same show turned out perfectly and I will be sharing it soon…Stay tuned!