So we all have heard of “White” Chicken Chili and love all it’s cheesy, rich flavors but it’s the New Year and many of us are focusing on eating healthier. Here is where “Red” Chicken Chili comes in! It a super easy recipe, packed with protein and fiber that will leave you satisfied without all the extra calories and fat.
The first time I prepared this, I did it on the stove top using a rotisserie chicken. However, you can also make this chili using the Instant Pot without pre-cooking your chicken. The key is to use both white and dark meat chicken for added flavor. If you are using your Instant Pot, you can even use FROZEN chicken! Wow!
So for your convenience, I have provided directions for all 3 cooking methods. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Instant Pot Red Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked boneless chicken breasts and thighs, shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups of tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 14 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounce can light red kidney beans
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 4 ounce (127mL) can chopped green chilis
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cilantro, for garnish
Sauté jalapeño and shallots in the olive oil until softened (about 5-10 minutes). Add in garlic and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for one hour.
Sprinkle with cilantro and serve
For the Instant Pot:
- Place the chicken, UNCOOKED, and the remaining ingredients into the pot of the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and lock it into position. Make sure the vent is in the sealing position.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 18 minutes (or the chili setting which will automatically be 18 minutes at high pressure). When the cook time is finished, let it naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure. Shred the chicken with two forks (either in the Instant Pot, or remove it to a cutting board to shred and then return it to the pot).
- Stir to combine. Sprinkle with cilantro and stir.
For the slow cooker:
- Place the chicken, UNCOOKED, and the remaining ingredients in the crock of the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours. Shred the chicken with two forks (either in the slow cooker, or remove it to a cutting board to shred and then return it to the slow cooker)
If you’re making this chicken chili in the Instant Pot, you can use fresh or frozen chicken breasts. The cook time will stay the same regardless. If you’re making it in the slow cooker, use fresh or thawed chicken breasts for food safety reasons.